| 2 comments ]

The wallet is an accessory, that over the years, has gradually grown into a fashion statement instead of serving its intended purpose - to organize money, cards, receipts, and etc.

I see folks at malls pulling out designer brand wallets that retail from $100 to $500 (or more) and there seems to be almost nothing inside them. I know many people that flaunt their expensive wallets and it is funny because I think, "She probably spent all his cash for a wallet that (now) has no cash in it. How foolish is that?"

My wallet was bought from a sidewalk vendor for $3 about five years ago. It seems battered and worn but it still serves its purpose of organizing financial 'stuff'. And yes, its contents are worth more than three bucks.

Aside from the eye-gouging price for these luxurious accessory, they also become targets of pickpockets and thieves. They have the trait of being able to exhibit "wealth" (whether you have it or not) and robberies, unfortunately, do happen. You just bought a brand name wallet and some thug just swiped it, there goes a couple hundred dollars you couldn't afford to lose...

So check your wallet and re-evaluate this financial accessory. If one seeks to 'fit in', buy a knock-off... because I certainly cannot tell the difference.


2 comments

Anonymous said... @ March 18, 2008 at 12:59 PM

Too true.

My wallet serves a purpose: it holds money, receipts and cards, and it's good at its job.

People will accessorize anything these days, as long as it proves how much money they are willing to waste on silly things.

I think that's what it's about, really. Yeah, I'm so great I can afford to waste money on this nonsense.

Can you?

Not me.

Anonymous said... @ April 25, 2008 at 2:14 PM

Great post! I've often thought the same thing. I didn't spend hundreds of dollars on my wallet, but there is rarely more money inside.

Post a Comment